You're spending more than you need to with in-house IT support

Posted by Mark Evans on Feb 2, 2015

£11,500 an hour. 

That’s how much downtime costs for 80% of small and medium-sized businesses. For the other 20%, it is even worse: at least £58,400 an hour lost due to downtime. Thank goodness for IT support then…But is it actually saving you money overall?

ITsupportmoneyIn the most successful companies, IT adds to the bottom line, it doesn’t steal from it.

Yet for many businesses, spiralling IT support costs eat away at your bottom line. What’s more, you may be putting your business at risk without knowing it!

Here are three reasons why you’re probably spending more on your IT support than you need to…

1) You're spending money on maintenance rather than innovation

It’s not working – better call IT support to fix it. This is the thought process most of us go through when we run into technical problems, but is it really the best approach?

Surely it would be better and more efficient if IT support could fix the issue so that it doesn’t happen again? It might be an easy fix, or it might require a small overhaul of your systems – either way, a proactive approach to IT support will save you money in the long term.

“But we are overrun with support tickets as it is – we just don’t have the time!”

That’s the usual response from the IT department, and it’s no excuse. So how do you manage to both maintain your IT system on a day-to-day basis and innovate to solve problems before they arise?

One answer could be to outsource your IT support. In doing so you gain expert knowledge and understanding from IT professionals who already know how to innovate. After all, they’re already helping their other clients innovate - and your systems are probably pretty similar. 

2) Your IT systems are a business continuity nightmare

What happen when things do go a bit pear-shaped? Fortunately you have that expensive business continuity plan in place. 

But does your plan still work? Are the right things being backed up to the right place? Can you really just pick up where you left off, or will you be left watching the clock, as each hour another £11,500 disappears?

If your IT department cannot answer all of those questions confidently then you may be exposing your business to huge risk. A massive benefit to outsourcing your business continuity is that you get your service-level agreement (SLA). This means you get constant reassurance as your outsourced team checks and rechecks all of your business continuity protocols and your backup data.

3) You're lacking specialist skills

The right expertise makes any job quicker and much more efficient. But while your IT team will undoubtedly have expertise in many things, they will not be experts in everything.

So your overall IT support efficiency will be completely dependent on what support issues come up. If your team happen to have expertise in that area then you’re covered. If not, then you might be exposing yourself to downtime – at the very least you will be losing efficiency.

A key benefit of an outsourced IT support team is that they will pull in a suitable expert to deal with any issue that comes up. Outsourced IT support acts like a pool of expert resources to draw from as and when you need it. An in-house team, on the other hand, are a permanent resource that will not include all the expertise needed.

There are lots of ways to improve your IT support coverage, cost and efficiency. For more advice on how to improve IT support, download our free eBook 'Don't get stuck in an IT rut'  to discover how managing IT support in-house is holding back your business.

IT support ebook CTA

Topics: IT support

Welcome to the MBA IT News section

From the latest insights on IT news to expert analysis on the latest tech trends affecting your business, our news section covers issues that matter to you. 

Subscribe to email updates

Recent Posts

Posts by Topic